Filing a Complaint with Western UP Health Department

Environmental Emergency – If your complaint is concerning an environmental emergency, please call 911 to report the incident.

Foodborne Illness – If you believe you are sick from food you ate at a restaurant, grocery store, or public event, please call the health department’s Environmental Health Division at 906-482-7382, ext. 119.


Western Upper Peninsula Health Department responds to public health related complaints and other issues involving unsanitary conditions that may cause illness or spread disease. Examples of common complaints WUPHD investigates include restaurant employees not wearing gloves while handling food, sewage surfacing from a failing septic system, and tattoos being performed in someone’s home.

To file a complaint, use the Complaint Form to provide us with the information we need to investigate your concern. Complaint Forms must be complete before an investigation will be started. You may be contacted by an Environmental Health Sanitarian for more information, so be sure your day time contact information is accurate.

If you are a renter and want to file a complaint about your apartment or rental home, please talk to your landlord or apartment management company about the issue first. If the problem is not resolved in a reasonable amount of time, then file a complaint using a Complaint Form.

What WUPHD will do:

Western Upper Peninsula Health Department Environmental Health staff may call you to discuss the complaint or incident and gather more information. We will evaluate the complaint to determine if the situation is within the regulatory scope of the health department. We may refer the complaint to the appropriate state, township, or city agency.

We may call the responsible party to see if they are aware of the issue, and to discuss what they are doing to remediate the situation. We may go to the complaint site to confirm the complaint information and gather more information.

Michigan’s Public Health Code, and local codes and ordinances within WUPHD’s jurisdiction will be enforced if the complaint investigation finds violations.

What WUPHD will not do:

Mold – WUPHD does not have the equipment or resources to test for mold, detect odors or other harmful substances, or remove bed bugs. Information about these topics is available on this website.

Junk – WUPHD does not enforce township blight ordinances. If you are concerned about abandoned or unmaintained buildings, and junk accumulation on a property, contact your township or city government office.

Farming – WUPHD does not evaluate farming practices or agriculture related manure storage and application practices. Contact Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development to file a complaint of this type.

Rental disputes – We cannot assist in breaking a lease agreement, receiving a security deposit refund, or suing responsible parties. Please seek legal counsel for assistance in these matters.

Customer service complaints – We do not handle basic customer service complaints such as rude staff, lost reservations, or wrong food orders. Please report these incidents to the facility’s management.

Medical advice -We cannot provide medical advice. If you have concerns about your health, please see your health care provider.

To submit a complaint regarding environmental health matters, please complete the form below and use one of the following delivery methods:

1) Deliver to your local health department office

2) Mail to: Western UP Health Department, 540 Depot St., Hancock, MI. 49930

3) Fax to 906-482-9410

EH Complaint Submittal Form