Food Service Licensing

restaurant kitchen

The Environmental Health Division of the Western UP Health Department licenses more than 400 food service establishments in 5 counties (Houghton, Baraga, Keweenaw, Ontonagon & Gogebic). Licensed establishment agree to follow the rules presented in the Michigan Modified 2009 Food Code and the Michigan Food Law of 2000.

In addition to permanent food service sites, the environmental health division also licenses temporary establishments. Temporary Food Licenses are required for operations that serve potentially hazardous food to the public for 14 consecutive days or less. Environmental Health issues these licenses on an as needed basis after an on-site inspection.

Please see below for a list of available food service-related forms and documents.

Michigan Food Law of 2000 *as amended*