July 4, 2020 — WUPHD received notification late last night of the first COVID-19 positive case in Ontonagon County. The Health Department continues to investigate to determine if additional people have been in close contact with the individual.
“We will be closely monitoring any individuals who may have had direct, personal contact with the identified case, such as household contacts,” said Kate Beer, Health Officer at WUPHD. “Please remember this is a time for us to support each other and work together to reduce any possible spread
of illness in our community.”
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Prevention steps include:
- Clean your hands often. Scrub with soap for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if you cannot wash.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. Call ahead before going to your healthcare provider.
- Learn what to do if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Wear a mask.
- Maintain a 6 foot distance between yourself and people who are not members of your household