Western UP Health Department

Leading The Community Toward Better Health

    • Contrast
    • Layout
    • Font

Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) provides certain approved medical service coverage to some children and adults with special health care needs. Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be under 21 years of age.  Persons over the age of 21 with cystic fibrosis or certain blood coagulating disorders may also qualify for services.

Western Upper Peninsula Health Department staff encourage all families of children with special needs stay up-to-date on vaccinations. We offer immunizations in a safe and sensory friendly setting to meet the needs of the individual.

CSHCS helps persons with chronic health problems by providing:

  • Coverage and referral for specialty services based on the person’s health problems.
  • Family centered services to support you in your role as primary caretaker of your child.
  • Community based services to help you care for your child at home and maintain normal routines.
  • Culturally competent services which demonstrate awareness of cultural differences.
  • Coordinated services to pull together the providers who work within different agencies.

Who is eligible for CSHCS?

Several factors are considered to determine eligibility for CSHCS:

Residency: Must be a Michigan resident.

Citizenship: Must be a US citizen or documented non-citizen admitted for permanent residence or a non-citizen legally admitted migrant farm worker.

Age: Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be under 20 years of age. Persons 21 and older with cystic fibrosis or certain hereditary blood coagulation disorders commonly known as hemophilia may also qualify.

Qualifying Medical Condition:  A medical consultant from the Michigan Department of Community Health reviews each case to determine eligibility.  Severity of condition and the need for treatment by a specialist are factors considered.  More than 2,500 diagnoses are potentially eligible.  Click here for a list of these diagnoses.


There is a fee to join Children’s Special Health Care Services.  This fee is based on income, but is waived if your child is on Medicaid or MIChild.  Please see the Payment Agreement Guide or contact your local health department office if you have specific questions about this fee.

Baraga County (906) 482-7382
Gogebic County (906) 482-7382
Houghton/Keweenaw (906) 482-7382
Ontonagon County (906) 482-7382

To Contact Children’s Special Health Care Services:

Call the CSHCS Family Phone Line & Family Support: 1-800-359-3722

Email the: Family Center

For more information about Children’s Special Health Care Services, please visit:

CSHCS Informational Brochure

CSHCS Rights & Responsibilities

Michigan Department of Health & Human Services

Children With Special Needs Fund

CSHCS Insurance Premium Payment Benefit Brochure

Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs

Emergency Preparedness for Families with Special Needs