Western UP Health Department

Leading The Community Toward Better Health

    • Contrast
    • Layout
    • Font
Brats being cooked on a grill at a temporary food booth.

A Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) is a type of food establishment that operates for a period of no more than 14 consecutive days, in conjunction with a single event or celebration, including carnivals, fairs, festivals, and other events. Unlike permanent facilities, TFEs typically operate with equipment staged beneath a tent or similar open-air cover and with limited resources (water, electricity, wastewater disposal).

If you, or your organization, is planning an event where food is to be served or prepared for public consumption, please contact the health department to determine if Michigan law requires a food service license. A food service license is required even if the organization is nonprofit and the food is provided free of charge. 

Applying for & Safely Operating a Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) License

Temporary Food Establishment License Fee Guidance

Michigan Temporary Food Establishment License Application

Pre-event Self Inspection List

Temporary Food Establishment Operations Checklist